Poor posture is an epidemic in our society because the gastronomical time spent slouched over their computers or phones. Initially, bad posture may seem harmless. However, it can come with some major repercussions if it is ignored.
What Does Bad Posture Look Like
The hallmark signs of bad posture include a forward head and shoulders, a rounded mid-back, and overarched low back to compensate when in standing. These obvious recognizable traits make it easy to see how posture can affect full body health and spinal alignment. Essentially, when the spine is out of alignment, it throws the entire body out of balance, blocks normal nerve flow, and makes it easier for disease to manifest.
Outside of the obvious signs of poor posture, there are also a variety of postures and more subtle issues with alignment that can still lead to health problems. These seemingly minute issues can be hard to spot without a well trained eye. Chiropractic BioPhysics (CBP) practitioners are expertly trained to address these types of spine issues.
Poor Posture and Disease
Spinal misalignment and disease are more closely connected than most people realize. Here are some of the injuries and diseases that poor posture is correlated with:
- Degenerative disk disease in the spine.
- Arthritis of weight bearing joints (i.e. knees, hips, ankles, etc.).
- Musculoskeletal injuries including muscle or ligament strain.
- Shoulder and neck pain.
- Chronic headaches or migraines.
- Strain on the circulatory system, leading to possible issues with high blood pressure and other symptoms of heart disease.
- Compromised breathing efficacy. The ability to take full deep breaths and proper blood oxygenation are essential for a healthy heart, brain, and other vital organs.
- General symptoms such as trouble sleeping, low energy, constipation, and gastrointestinal pain.
- Exacerbated seasonal allergies.
- Sexual dysfunction.
- Mental health effects due to mood swings, stress, anxiety, brain fog, and more.
How Chiropractic Care Can Help
Suffering from all of the diseases and injuries listed above are unfortunately very commonplace. When the root cause of these issues is addressed with proper spinal alignment, the body can start healing and function without inhibition. Working with a CBP certified chiropractor can vastly improve quality of life.
Talk to a CBP chiropractor for tips on posture and a gentle, holistic treatment approach. Techniques for treatment might include manipulation, joint mobilization, soft tissue massage, an exercise program, pain modalities, and lots of education.
Poor posture and its effect on spinal alignment are often overlooked as one of the key issues for optimal health. Having a healthy, aligned nervous system can help every other system in the body work better and with more ease. Find a CBP practitioner to help you today.