Over 20% of adults over the age of 65 are suffering from arthritis and all the symptoms that come with it such as pain, stiffness, and disability. The most commonly affected joints include the shoulders, hands, spine, hips, and knees. Arthritis is a result of damage to joint cartilage from various factors such as injury, wear, being overweight, and disease. While medication and surgery are the top treatment options in the U.S., there are also great conservative non-invasive options for managing arthritis, such as chiropractic care.
How Does Chiropractic Care Help with Arthritis?
While arthritis, either caused by wear (Osteoarthritis) or disease (Rheumatoid Arthritis), cannot be cured- there is a lot that can be done to manage symptoms and prevent unnecessary progression. Chiropractors are experts in promoting full body alignment and balance. Their focus is on promoting good spine alignment to allow proper nerve energy for essential everyday functions. This can be very beneficial for arthritic joints to reduce unnecessary strain with daily activities. Overall, this translates to less wear on the joints and keeps you as active as possible.
What Benefits Can Chiropractic Care Bring?
There are great potential benefits that regular chiropractic treatment can offer. Below are just a few of them:
- Functional joint range of motion
- Joint pain relief
- Less inflammation
- Improved nerve function for optimal tissue healing
- Improved biomechanics with daily activities
- Better sense of well-being
- Prevent progression of symptoms
What to Expect from Treatment
After you get your first in-depth assessment from a chiropractor, they will help you decide what treatment options will help you feel your best. The most common chiropractic treatments include the following:
- Pain management modalities. Pain relief is possible without medications with options like electrical stimulation, massage, traction, heating pads, ice packs, and more. Your chiropractor can help you select the best options.
- Adjustments. Regular adjustments of the spine, and other necessary joints, keep the body optimally aligned and functioning smoothly. Chiropractors can recognize even the most subtle of changes.
- Lifestyle changes. Making the right healthy lifestyle choices can be a game changer for managing arthritis. Your chiropractor can guide you with extensive education in healthy habits such as weight loss, sleep habits, exercise training, stress management, and more.
Feel Your Best with Chiropractic Care
Arthritis can quickly affect quality of life with pain flares and loss of normal joint function. Taking control of your arthritis symptoms is possible with the right professional medical care. The sooner you seek care the better to prevent symptoms from getting unnecessarily worse. Chiropractic care can yield great results with less need for medications with nasty side effects or highly invasive surgery.
If you’re wondering how to find a chiropractor, consider finding a local practitioner certified in Chiropractic BioPhysics (CBP). CBP is an expert certification that a chiropractor can get that is based on effective state of the art treatment protocols for holistic treatment. There are a few CBP experts located throughout the U.S., so there is a chance that you can find one near you. Simply do a search and see what is available to get started.