Chiropractic care is an extremely successful form of therapy to use in addition to other forms of care during pregnancy. Chiropractic care has shown promise at nearly every stage of pregnancy in supporting both the baby’s health and the mother’s well-being.
It’s crucial to be in good health during pregnancy since a mother’s wellness directly impacts her child. An expectant mother has various options to maintain her health during pregnancy, one of which is chiropractic care. The following is an all-encompassing explanation of the chemical and hormonal changes that occur throughout each stage of pregnancy, as well as how chiropractic care can help manage these fluctuations.
To have a happy and healthy pregnancy, it’s key to understand the changes happening in your body. Here is how Chiropractic BioPhysics® can help you at every stage of this amazing time. Please share this article with all the people who are supporting you during your pregnancy!
1st Trimester (Week 1 – 12)
Expectant moms in their first trimester experience physical changes due to pregnancy hormonal shifts. These changes can cause edema, discomfort, and sensitivity.
Here are some of the hormone changes that occur during the first trimester of pregnancy:
- The development of new blood vessels is essential to transport nutrients to the baby. Unfortunately, nausea is a common symptom during the first trimester due to rising estrogen levels.
- Progesterone is most prominent during the first few months of pregnancy because it helps the mother’s body accept foreign DNA. Progesterone also prevents estrogen from having too much influence and in turn, limiting uterine tissue growth.
Human Chorionic Gonadotropin Hormone (hCG):
- The human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) hormone gives the baby nutrients during pregnancy. This is when levels are highest and can unfortunately cause mom morning sickness like fatigue, nausea, and vomiting.
Human Placental Lactogen (hPL):
- hPL is a hormone that’s produced by the placenta. It helps to control the mother’s metabolism and makes sure that nutrients are accessible for the baby.
- Relaxin is a pregnancy hormone that makes the body’s joints, ligaments, and tissues relax. It affects all joints and ligaments in the body, not just those in the pelvic region, which can cause discomfort for pregnant women.
- Oxytocin, which is similar to relaxin, helps the cervix become more flexible in preparation for delivery. You will have less of it during the first three months of pregnancy and then increasing amounts near the end of your pregnancy.
Chiropractic BioPhysics® During Pregnancy Helps:
Hormone levels constantly changing during the first three months of pregnancy can cause issues like digestive trouble and huge dips or spikes in energy.
Chiropractic care is a form of alternative medicine that focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of mechanical disorders of the musculoskeletal system, as well as the effects they have on the nervous system.
Chiropractic care during early pregnancy helps to create a healthy foundation for the remainder of the pregnancy. Adjustments, manipulation of soft tissue, and alignment correction using traction or other methods may all be useful treatments in order to have as little pain and balanced a delivery as possible.
2nd Trimester (Weeks 13 – 28)
- Hormonal Changes:
- Estrogen – is lower compared to the first trimester of pregnancy
- Progesterone – is lower compared to the first trimester of pregnancy
- Human Chorionic Gonadotropin Hormone (hCG) – levels off and plateaus
- Human Placental Lactogen (hPL) – stays steady
- Relaxin – stays steady
- Oxytocin – temporarily plateaus
By the second trimester of pregnancy, the body has usually adapted to the influx of new hormones. These levels will then gradually decrease around this time.
This phase, which lasts from ten to 15 days, is distinguished by radical changes in physical size and form. The baby grows quickly and becomes much larger, which often leads to a variety of medical issues and discomfort. Braxton-Hicks contractions are frequent during this time frame, as are leg cramps, vertigo episodes, back pain, sinus trouble, migraines, heartburn symptoms, and pelvic soreness.
Available Chiropractic Care:
Chiropractic care during the second trimester of pregnancy is focused on reducing pain and discomfort while also supporting all body systems.
Chiropractors often focus on areas of the body where people experience pain, such as the back and neck. By undergoing chiropractic treatment, patients may not only decrease pain in these regions but also enhance cognitive function and clarity, regulate the nervous system, and boost immunity.
3rd Trimester (Weeks 29 – 40)
- Estrogen – increases more than in second trimester
- Progesterone – increases more than in second trimester
- Human Chorionic Gonadotropin Hormone (hCG) – slowly decreases
- Human Placental Lactogen (hPL) – incrementally increases and then plateaus
- Relaxin – increases to helps facilitate labor
- Oxytocin – increases to help facilitate labor
Many of the physical symptoms women experience during their second trimester of pregnancy are amplified in severity during the third trimester. These can include changes to body size and form, discomfort such as constipation and heartburn, back pain, neck pain, pelvic pain, stiffness or joint hypermobility. Women may also experience Braxton-Hicks contractions along with leg cramps, abdominal cramps or dizziness.
The energy of a pregnant person is partly directed to the fetus’ final development stages, and also towards labor and delivery. The pregnancy hormones that increase (such as relaxin, oxytocin, estrogen, and progesterone) are designed to start the process of giving birth; thus it’s normal for symptoms associated with these hormones to be more intense.
Available Chiropractic Care:
Chiropractic care later on in pregnancy is specially designed to help the body get ready for a natural, successful delivery. At this point, your chiropractor will take new measurements to see which part of your body is under the most stress. The goal of treatment at this stage is reducing inflammation, tension and pain as much as possible so that your body is prepared for childbirth.
Pregnancy is a delicate time, so be sure to see a chiropractor who is trained in this area. Some chiropractors even seek specialized further education to assist turn breech fetuses. In your third trimester, inform your practitioner of any changes you’ve noticed (compared to earlier periods), worsening symptoms, and medical issues or ideas from your primary care doctor.
Labor and Delivery
Although not typically given during pregnancy, chiropractic care can actually help to ensure a successful and balanced labor and delivery. Pregnancy brings substantial changes to the spine and joints, commonly leading to subluxations (misalignments in the joints and spinal structure) that can remain even after pregnancy. Although chiropractic adjustments during pregnancy offer the most benefits, a single treatment in the final weeks before birth can still produce significant advantages and reduce pain.
Chiropractic BioPhysics® & Pregnancy
Chiropractic BioPhysics® (CBP®) is a therapy that doesn’t require surgery and provides long-term pain relief, posture correction, and support for the body’s systems. Chiropractic BioPhysics® has helped countless people since it was founded in 1981 by Dr. Don Harrison and collaborators.
Out of all the different types of chiropractic treatment, CBP® is exceptionally gentle and effective for pregnant women. Chiropractic BioPhysics® is a highly personalized type of chiropractic therapy that has shown to be incredibly safe and successful in studies.
A comprehensive treatment strategy to correct the spinal posture might be delayed until after pregnancy; however, CBP® can act as an intervention for pregnant women who are suffering from pain and discomfort as a result of misalignment.
The weight of the baby during pregnancy can put a lot of strain on different areas of the body, including when sleeping and doing everyday activities. CBP® treatment uses spinal adjustments to relieve pressure and pain by strengthening bones and joints around the area that is causing discomfort. This also takes some tension, stress, and inflammation off other parts of the spine.
Pregnancy Care with the help of Chiropractic BioPhysics®
Pregnancy is a time of life when extra wellness support is extremely beneficial. Chiropractic care allows the nervous system, skeletal system, and muscular system to be balanced. By increasing the balance in these interwoven systems, the process of pregnancy and delivery can be made much easier. Many patients report feeling immense relief after their Chiropractic BioPhysics® treatment.
To get started today supporting your pregnancy or the pregnancy of a loved one, visit our online directory today to find a Chiropractic BioPhysics® certified chiropractor near you.